Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Making God Lord over our life

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, even his own life also, He can not be my disciple.” Luke 14:26

Have you ever wondered who the “they’s” of society are? Have you ever been more concerned about pleasing everyone else in your life? Those are the “they’s” in your life. Whose ever opinions become more important to you than what God’s wants and is calling you to do, they become the ‘god’ you worship.

I was never one to try and keep up with the preverbial “Joneses,” but I used to be so concerned about what “they” would think. Having come from a background of abuse, I never learned to trust my own instincts, and didn’t believe I knew what was best for me. I began to look at how everyone else seemed to have it more together than I did. They hadn’t lived the abuse I did, so they must some how be smarter than me. I began valuing their thought’s and opinions more than my own. I believed since they had been Christian’s longer than I had, they must know what God wanted for my life.

Who were the “they’s’ in my life? The ‘theys’ were everyone from family, and friends, to complete strangers. Everyone became the ‘they’s’ in my life. It wasn’t until God spoke to me through this verse did I understand God wanted me to listen to Him and not everyone else. God was showing me how I was putting everyone else before Him. It wasn’t that their opinions weren’t valuable, and God couldn’t use them to show me direction, but it’s that we should seek God’s direction first and foremost and not only depend on the opinions and thought’s of everyone else around us.

What God want’s for us should be more important to us than what other’s think. If we are listening to God more than to others, it will appear that we hate them, not that we do, but it will seem that way. So ask yourself whose opinion do you value more, God’s or the "they’s" in your life?

Lord, I ask that you will give me eye’s to see whose thought’s and opinions I value more than yours. Show me who I put before you in my life, is it family, friends, my boss, or strangers? Give me wisdom to discern if you are using them to direct my path more clearly, or are they stumbling block’s in my walk with you? Lord, if I have learned not to trust my instincts, teach me to see that you have given me those instinct’s and you will use them to direct my path. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

6 comments:

K.M. said...

YESSSS!!!! Thanks for posting this! Maybe someone will listen! oh...and check out my blog at washingka.blogspot.com ok? ok! :) have a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat day!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. This is a very worthwhile prayer and if followed, will help anyone looking for guidance.

Bug58_2020 said...

No Problem, I'll sure be praying for Kendra's dad.

Glad you could join in.

Temlakos said...

Good thoughts--and a good-looking blog.

~keigo_milk~ ^_^ said...

Amen...
i certainly understand what u are putting across.....
i guess i have always put other's opinion of me in a higher piority..... i know that i shd always put God in first place... believe me... i am trying.... and trying very hard.... i am sure He will be there to help me thur this.... God bless... ^0^

Mommaduck said...

This is EXACTLY what I have gone through in the past. Thank you for putting it into words.

LadyFlynt